Cross addictions

The other day I went to the lovely Geffrye Museum, which is a museum about the middle classes’ homes from 1600 to present time. The visit made me realise that I am definitely not a part of the middle class, like the rest of my family, instead I have fallen down to the working class or rather below the working class – the impoverished class. I don't even have a sodding job, do I?

Last Friday, Simone and I went for our annual Christmas shopping at IKEA in Edmonton. We go there to shop for my Swedish Christmas dinner that I have on the first of Advent every year. I really enjoy it and we were there for around five hours and I managed to buy seven new Christmas decorations.

I have slowly started to understand that I have developed a cross addiction to my alcoholism and compulsive overeating, I am also a shopaholic. But this year I also realised that I have a compulsive need to buy Christmas decorations. It might sound funny but it is not! I spend money I cannot afford to spend; my closet is stuffed with Christmas decorations. I have nowhere to put them. I am drowning in the blasted things! Still I went and bought yet another decoration yesterday. If I stay indoors today, I might be able to abstain from buying anything more...
A friend of mine once said, ‘addiction is like having five bins but only four lids and once you put the lid down on one addiction, a new one appears.’

I am also obsessive about the Christmas itself. We are in mid November and I really have to control myself not to put up my decorations quite yet. I will try to resist the urge until the last Friday of November, and then I will go mental!






No comments:

Post a Comment